It's not that I don't want to update

Far from it, in fact.  The reality is I feel a tremendous amount of pressure on saturday nights after the kids down, beer in hand, pounding on the keyboard to try and get whatever I'm working on to a satisfactory functional level.  It's the reason why real devs never put out demos and when they do its a 9 month old build that plays nothing like the final product (which will probably be released in beta anyway).  Because builds are hard.  Leaving the game crippled all the time is hella demoralizing, but its the fastest way to add stuff to it or more importantly debug it.  Interrupting that process to wrap a bow on it and zip it up and upload it is tremendously jarring.  Way more so than I had thought going in to this.

But that's the way it is.  That's how you get the people interested and keep them there.  I'm not about to start a twitter so without further ado, here's today's build;

_ERROR_ERROR_BLUE_SCREEN_OF_DEATH_!!!_

yeah, that was mean.  There is no build.  Don't look for it.

I think I mentioned a post ago that I had to gut the thing.  Changing it from a super simple demo to something that might actually be a game with cool stuff like game modes, credits and a title screen is not easy.  I definitely should've started there but I knew I would not have the motivation to stick this out if it didn't run super fast.

So ALL the classes needed new hooks and pointers made.  And one of them was really upset about it

Anyway, now there's another playable Ronin, at least one more new ronin and background animations. Some of the ui stuff is coming along nicely too.  Some of it is not.  I need to pound the old mugen forums again to get more materials.  I've made a concession on the background front, they're just going to have to clash, but you'll see more on that as the game goes on.  Roguelike was an important part of this game when I conceived it and I'd rather have it be a memorable love letter to these great franchises that looks kind of crappy than limit the procedural map system.

Anyway, I'm off topic.  The main goal was to get a post up here before the follow up post on sunday (hopefully) and the build that accompanies it.   This blog is not just about the game, its about the development too.  Sometimes blog posts are gonna happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Porcelain Power! | Cuphead VI #TruWarriorsGaming